SW1A

News

Today in Parliament
Wednesday, 17 July 2019
House of Commons
Main Chamber
11:30 Oral Questions International Development
Including Topical Questions at 11:53
12:00 Oral Questions Prime Minister
12:30* Urgent Question Rt Hon David Davis MP (Haltemprice and Howden, Con)
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make a statement on the police surveillance of journalists.
followed by Urgent Question Tulip Siddiq MP (Hampstead and Kilburn, Lab)
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs if he will make a statement regarding the case of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.
followed by Urgent Question Shadow Home Secretary, Diane Abbott (Hackney North and Stoke Newington, Lab)
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make a statement on Immigration detention victims
followed by Ten Minute Rule Motion Reservoirs (Flood Risk) Bill
Holly Lynch MP (Halifax, Lab)
followed by Legislation Census (Return Particulars and Removal of Penalties) Bill
Second Reading
followed by Debate Gemma White QC Report
The Prime Minister
That this House has considered the Gemma White report.
followed by Debate Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme
Rt Hon Mel Stride MP (Central Devon, Con)
That this House endorses the report of the House of Commons Commission entitled Extending the Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme (HC 2554) and laid on Monday 15 July and approves the steps set out in paragraph 8 of the report to make the changes necessary to extend the scheme, endorsed under the resolution of 19 July 2018.
19:00* Adjournment Debate Transport in Bedfordshire
Gavin Shuker MP (Luton South, TIG)
House of Commons
Westminster Hall
09:30 - 11:00 Debate Music education in England
James Frith MP (Bury North, Lab)
11:00 - 11:30 Debate A review of the decision-making powers of the Criminal Cases Review Commission
Sandy Martin MP (Ipswich, Lab)
14:30 - 16:00 Debate The legal duties of the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care for NHS workforce planning and supply in England
Eleanor Smith MP (Wolverhampton South West, Lab)
16:00 - 16:30 Debate The contribution of aquaculture to the UK economy
Stephen Kerr MP (Stirling, Con)
16:30 - 17:30 Debate Funding for small schools and village schools
Neil O'Brien MP (Harborough, Con)
House of Commons
Delegated Legislation Committees
08.55 Third Delegated Legislation Committee
Draft Environment (Legislative Functions from Directives) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019
House of Commons
Select Committees
09:30 Committee Room 8 Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Plastic food and drink packaging
Dan Roberts, Vice Chair, Local Authority Recycling Advisory Committee (LARAC) Jacob Hayler, Executive Director, Environmental Services Association Richard Kirkman, Chief Technology & Innovation Officer, Veolia UK & Ireland Councillor Peter Fleming, Deputy Chairman and Leader of Sevenoaks District Council, Local Government Association Dr Thérèse Coffey MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Environment
09:30 Grimond Room Treasury
IT failures in the financial services sector
Graham Bastin, Head of Operational Resilience, Barclays Ian Lundberg, Chief Officer Head of Client Services, Visa Anne Boden, CEO, Starling Bank
09:30 Committee Room 16 Work and Pensions
Support for the bereaved
Will Quince MP, Minister for Family Support, Housing and Child Maintenance, Department for Work and Pensions Helen Walker, Deputy Director, Children, Families and Disadvantage, Department for Work and Pensions
09:45 Wilson Room Transport
Departmental policy and performance: Update with the Secretary of State
Rt Hon Chris Grayling MP, Secretary of State for Transport, Department for Transport
09:50 Committee Room 15 Women and Equalities
Health and social care and LGBT communities
Rt Hon Matthew Hancock MP, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Baroness Williams of Trafford, Minister for Equalities
10:00 Boothroyd Room Exiting the European Union
The progress of the UK’s negotiations on EU withdrawal
Rt Hon Stephen Barclay MP, Secretary of State, Department for Exiting the European Union
10:00 Committee Room 5 International Trade
Trade in services
George Hollingbery MP, Minister of State for Trade Policy, Department for International Trade
10:00 Committee Room 6 Science and Technology
Work of the Science Minister
Chris Skidmore MP, Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
14:30 Grimond Room Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
BBC Annual Report 2018-19 and TV licences for over-75s
Lord Tony Hall, Director General, BBC Sir David Clementi, Chairman, BBC Clare Sumner, Director, Policy, BBC Glyn Isherwood, Chief Financial Officer, BBC Lord Tony Hall, Director General, BBC David Jordan, Director, Editorial Policy and Standards, BBC
14:30 Committee Room 5 European Scrutiny
Post-Brexit Scrutiny of EU Law and Policy
Catherine Barnard, Professor of European Union and Labour Law, University of Cambridge Steve Peers, Professor of EU Law and Human Rights, University of Essex
14:30 Committee Room 16 Public Accounts
Serious and Organised Crime
Colonel Peter McCall, Police and Crime Commissioner, Cumbria Chief Constable Andy Cooke, Merseyside Police Sir Philip Rutnam, Permanent Secretary, Home Office Julia Kinniburgh, Director General Serious and Organised Crime, Home Office Lynne Owens, Director General, National Crime Agency
15:00 Wilson Room Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
The new farming programme
Tamara Finkelstein, Permanent Secretary David Kennedy, Director-General, Food, Farming and Bio-Security Sarah Church, Director, Future Farming and Countryside, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
House of Lords
Lords Chamber
15:00 Oral Question *Lord Lea of Crondall
To ask Her Majesty’s Government what plans they have to work with European leaders and the leaders of the Christian, Jewish and Muslim faiths to develop a comprehensive plan for inter-faith dialogue for areas of religious conflict which includes methods for mediation in order to facilitate improved ways of working between communities.
15:10* Oral Question *Lord Hayward
To ask Her Majesty’s Government, further to the response by Lord Gardiner of Kimble on 17 June (HL Deb, cols 645–7), whether they plan to announce the introduction of the 10p plastic bag charge in England in the next month; and if not, what was meant by “very soon”.
15:20* Oral Question *Lord Lee of Trafford
To ask Her Majesty’s Government whether current defence expenditure is sufficient to meet the United Kingdom’s responsibilities (1) nationally, and (2) to international partnerships and alliances.
15:25* Oral Question *Baroness Sheehan
To ask Her Majesty’s Government what assessment they have made of the role of British gambling companies and football clubs in encouraging children in Africa to gamble illegally.
15:30* Statutory Instruments Town and Country Planning (Fees for Applications, Deemed Applications, Requests and Site Visits) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2019
Lord Bourne of Aberystwyth to move that the draft Regulations laid before the House on 10 June be approved. Considered in Grand Committee on 15 July
followed by Statutory Instruments Environment (Legislative Functions from Directives) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019
Lord Gardiner of Kimble to move that the draft Regulations laid before the House on 6 June be approved. Considered in Grand Committee on 15 July
followed by Statutory Instruments Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (Amendment) Order 2019
Baroness Williams of Trafford to move that the draft Order laid before the House on 4 June be approved. 53rd Report from the Secondary Legislation Scrutiny Committee. Considered in Grand Committee on 15 July
followed by Legislation Wild Animals in Circuses (No. 2) Bill
Report [Lord Gardiner of Kimble]
followed by Legislation Northern Ireland (Executive Formation) Bill
Report [Lord Duncan of Springbank] 59th Report from the Delegated Powers Committee
followed by Statutory Instruments Electricity Capacity (No. 2) Regulations 2019
Lord Henley to move that the draft Regulations laid before the House on 5 June be approved. 53rd Report from the Secondary Legislation Scrutiny Committee
House of Lords
Grand Committee
15:45 Debate Lord Heseltine
To move that the Grand Committee takes note of devolution to English cities in the light of Lord Heseltine’s report Empowering English Cities, published on 2 July.
House of Lords
Lords Committees
10:00 Committee Room 4A EU Financial Affairs Sub-Committee
Private Meeting
10:15 Committee Room 2 EU Energy and Environment Sub-Committee
Private Meeting
10:30 Committee Room 3 EU Home Affairs Sub-Committee
Private Meeting
10:30 The Lord Speaker's Room House of Lords Commission
Private Meeting
10:30 Committee Room 4 International Relations Committee
Private Meeting
All Party Committees
All Party Groups
08:30 Committee Room G International Students
AGM AND ROUNDTABLE.
The APPG for International Students is pleased to welcome a roundtable of UK business, in partnership with the CBI, to discuss the opportunities and challenges of building a sustainable future for international students in the UK. UK Business support the growth of international students in the UK and this roundtable between the APPG and CBI members will help to understand the motivations behind this position and the challenges and opportunities UK business see as the UK rolls-out it’s new International Education Strategy. The first part of the meeting between 08:30 and 09:00 will be the APPG for International Students AGM.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: AYA@parliament.uk
12:00 Room W2 Historic Vehicles
AGM and election of officers.
Nominations for officers should be sent to.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: thomasml@parliament.uk
12:30 Room W2 British – Spanish
AGM and election of officers.
Nominations for officers should be sent to.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: thomasml@parliament.uk
12:30 Attlee Suite (PCH) Skills and Employment
In partnership with FETL (Further Education Trust for Leadership) this symposium will explore the impact of technology on teaching and highlight some of the latest innovations that are being employed in the classroom to enhance learning.
Panellists will discuss the challenges, efficacy and ethics of moving towards a more technology-centred FE sector. The symposium will be chaired by Lord Holmes of Richmond MBE (Chair of the DfE EdTech Leadership Group). 12:30-13:30 for lunch and technology showcase; 13:30-15:00 for the symposium; 15:00-15:30 coffee and networking.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: cochraneac@parliament.uk
13:00 Room TBC Digital Skills Launch
AGM.
The APPG on Digital Skills will be hosting their inaugural meeting and AGM. The meeting will officially launch the APPG as a forum for parliamentarians, educators and employers to promote the importance of digital skills and to encourage a greater understanding of digital skills for personal, educational and career development. It will also introduce the APPG as a group that will focus on promoting the urgency of upskilling the population in digital skills and the importance of improving digital skills to enhance the UK’s productivity, competitiveness and social mobility. The meeting will be chaired by Julie Elliott MP and we will hear from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport; BT; Google; City and Guilds; and the Education Technology Association.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: areandrew.mitchell@parliament.uk
13:00 Committee Room 4 Spinal Cord Injury
We will have an update from officers on meetings and announcements that have occurred since the last meeting followed by a general discussion.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: contactian.thomas@parliament.uk
14:00 Room M (PCH) British Council
AGM
hosted by John Baron MP and Sir Ciarán Devane will hold their annual meeting to vote in officers of the APPG and receive an update on the APPG Inquiry “The role of education and culture in the UK’s relationships with Europe”.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: Benjamin.yates@parliament.uk
14:45 Committee Room 3a Vegetarianism and Veganism
‘Veggie Vurger, anyone?
EU proposal to restrict plant-based descriptions’. Speakers are. Christina Rees MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Wales (Chair), Alexandra Clark, Campaign Manager, Humane Society International, Stephen Pugh, EU Food Labelling Specialist Consultant, Tess Kelly, Quorn Foods. The annual AGM for the APPG will also be held at the end of the session, from 3.45-4pm.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: christina.rees.mp@parliament.uk
15.10 Room W3 Botswana
AGM
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: mawna@parliament.uk
15.20 Room W3 South Africa
AGM
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: mawna@parliament.uk
15:00 Room W3 Thailand
AGM
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: mawna@parliament.uk
15:30 Room B1 Green Deal Miss Selling
AGM
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: lindsay.stevenson@parliament.uk
15:30 Room W3 Syria
AGM
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: mawna@parliament.uk
16:00 Member’s Dining Rooms Channel 4
Summer reception sponsored by Helen Grant MP, chair of the APPG.
Join Alex Mahon, Channel 4’s Chief Executive for Afternoon Tea, a celebration of programming highlights and a brief preview of what’s to come.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: rolfea@parliament.uk
16:30 Committee Room 2A Chagos Islands
AGM
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: sherlocks@parliament.uk
17:00 Room U (PCH) Drug Policy Reform
AGM
We will be carrying out the election of officers and required reporting business for the APPG before moving on to reviewing our 2018/19 Work Plan and discussing plans for the following year.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: crispin.blunt.2nd@parliament.uk
17:00 Committee Room 17 Local Authority Pension Funds
Speaker: Sir John Kingman - on the Independent Review of the FRC (CONFIRMED).
Sir John Kingman will discuss the recommendations of his Independent Review of the Financial Reporting Council and its proposals for a new, stronger, statutory regulator to oversee accounting and audit. The Kingman Review made 83 recommendations in total.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: Steve.Barwick@smith-institute.org.uk
17:00 Room W2 Waterways
Annual General Meeting to elect officers and to approve income and expenditure.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: sallg@parliament..uk
17:30 Room M (PCH) Road Freight and Logistics
Chair: Sir Mike Penning MP.
Purpose of Meeting – Oral evidence session as part of inquiry into skills shortage of 50,000 drivers threatening to bring UK supply chain to a halt. Following its call for written evidence, the APPG will now be hosting the first and only oral evidence session as part of its inquiry. A selection of hauliers those who submitted written evidence have selected to represent the range of opinion expressed in the written evidence. We also hope to hear from Government officials to understand their position. Purpose of APPG – To promote and represent the interests of the UK road haulage and logistics industries and provide a forum to discuss the opportunities and challenges.
For further information, queries or to RSVP, please contact: mike.penning.mp@parliament.uk/info@roadfrieghtappg.org.
House of Commons
Joint Committees
15:15 Other Human Rights Committee
The Right to Privacy (Article 8) and the Digital Revolution